Saturday, June 5, 2010

Almost there

Finished 1 out of 2 take-home finals this quarter! Yay! I have a break between now and my next take home final, which will be distributed Monday afternoon. By a break, I mean that I will be working on the final deliverable for the soil berm project.

Today was a pretty productive day. I did laundry and cleaned the apartment, like all other Saturdays. Then I went out to lunch with some of Xiumin's friends. We went to Castro St for some very yummy Thai food and bubble tea. They dropped me off back at Rains and headed off to Half Moon Bay. Wish I could go with them to the beach but I have a lot of work to do.

When I got back, I finally managed to book a ticket to go from London to KL. Flying on a super cheap airline (Air Asia) for long distance (13 hrs). We'll see how that goes. No entertainment, need to pay extra for food, advance pick of seats, and baggage. But since they're out of Stansted instead of Heathrow, this makes up for the baggage fee. I had to pay for this flight with my HSBC card because the website wouldn't accept my BOA card. But even the HSBC card failed twice and I got 2 calls right away from HSBC asking me to confirm this purchase. Turns out, it was HSBC who stopped the transaction. But it all worked out in the end and now I'm finally feeling like I'm going to Southeast Asia.

I also realized this morning that even though I've been looking at maps of Padang all quarter, I have no idea what the rest of the country or the surrounding countries are like. I think I need to buy another one of these all encompassing guidebooks again. I think they're worthy investments.

After booking the ticket, I went to a SWE BBQ and chatted with some people. Not a lot of people showed up initially so some people started calling their friends. Stanford people are not as keen on getting free food for some reason. Must be the availability of food in dining halls.

I showered after I got back and started working on a take-home exam. Just finished it and can now relax for the rest of the evening. I also need to start packing up my room. I packed 2 boxes earlier but they aren't very full. Didn't want them to be super heavy and didn't exactly want my room to be in a mess right now.

Hopefully I'll get lots of work done tomorrow too. There are a few study breaks tomorrow too so they'll give me a chance to get out of this hot, stuffy apartment!

1 comment:

yalu said...

Hopefully you'll have access to internet in Padang, or else we won't hear about your adventures during the summer. At the very least, maybe you could type and upload whenever you get to an internet cafe in big cities.