Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Power Outage

There was a massive power outage Tuesday morning. I think the entire campus (plus surrounding area?) was affected. I woke up at 8am really worried about my homework that was due later that day. I wasn't quite finished but all that was left was just a plot. Anyway, I woke up to a thunderstorm and attempted to turn on my light while going towards the window to see how badly it was raining. And then I realized the light didn't turn on.

At first I was hoping it was just our apartment and attempted to open the breaker box in the kitchen. But it was sealed shut. I guess they moved the breakers to somewhere else. I peaked outside in the hallway and saw that all the hallway lights were off too. When I came back inside, Shuo was saying something about a text message. I checked my phone and got a voicemail. While I was listening to the voicemail, my mom called because she had received a called from the Stanford Emergency Alert service. The message basically said that there was a power outage. And then I got the text message right after talking to my mom. Shortly after that we got a call on our apartment phone. The power came back on around 9:20am or so. Luckily, I was already up. It would've been really annoying to be woken up by a billizon calls and being confused. Not sure what to make of this alert system.

1 comment:

yalu said...

haha Citi has one of these weird evacuation systems too where they call your mobile every once in awhile to make sure it is really you, so in case of an emergency they can contact you (if you need to evacuate or something)...it's weird