Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Refugees in America

This article hurts on so many levels. I know there are many NGOs working with the Karen people in Burma and Thailand. I wonder if these NGOs know about the struggles of these people as refugees in America. Must be easier to fundraise for refugees in the jungle than refugees in America. Now that these people are out of the jungle, they have to deal with getting mugged, and all they have is food from food stamps. All this is happening in the Eastlake district in Oakland. My family lives there.

http://www.eastbayexpress.com/gyrobase/still-seeking-refuge/Content?oid=1612169&storyPage=1

1 comment:

yalu said...

The article is so sad! Seems like language barrier is a huge problem. I also read the part about the bank account - I can totally understand how banking/healthcare systems would be confusing. The healthcare system is still confusing to me!