Wednesday, July 25, 2007

UK Visa

Ahhhhh!!! Help!! I think I've really messed up this time. Arg! So I got everything I needed to apply for this visa: passport, letters, address, etc. and started filling out the online application. I selected Germany as my current location. Everything was going well. And then on the very last screen, they ask if I wanted to pay online or in person. Since paying online with my credit card means I'll have to pay 3% extra, I chose to pay in person. And then the confirmation screen kindly informed me that since I did not pay online, I must go to the UK Embassy in Dusseldorf. There are three places where you can go and get UK visas in Germany: Berlin, Munich, and Dusseldorf. For those of you unfamiliar with German geography, Dusseldorf is near Cologne, on the other side of the country, 4 hours away, and 100 Euros roundtrip. I literally felt sick.

After i calmed down a bit, I checked the available appointment times. It turns out that for Berlin, the soonest available appointment is August 15th. So I guess it would've been bad if I had paid online because that's not enough time. I'm leaving the country on August 23rd. The website wasn't very clear but I think for in person appointments, I get the visa right there. But the website didn't seem to be very sure of itself. So I emailed MIT's Study Aboard office. I've already spammed every person involved in CME at MIT so what's a few more panic emails... Jen Cook directed me to an online form and told me to ask if I can reapply but through the New York office this time. I really hope they'll be okay with this. I really don't want to go to Dusseldorf. And with New York, all I have to do is to mail everything in. If I apply in Germany, they want to collect biometric data from me. Scary... Why is life so complicated!

1 comment:

yalu said...

yeah, it's not a good business...