Friday, July 27, 2007

Civil Engineering at Work

Speaking of work, I've actually been doing stuff. Turns out that they really DO want me to make real calculations. The company wants to a couple of train stations and I'm calculating the new loads on some concrete columns. Now that I've taught myself enough German to comprehend engineering reference books (I'm very proud of this), I've made a lot of progress in these calculations. Earlier this week, I was so confused. But now I'm actually pretty sure about the numbers that I've been getting. I'm sure that my calculations will not be the final calculations. They're just estimates. But the architects need to know the information before they can continue with their design work. So yeah, I'm pretty excited about this. I hope I'll actually get to see the new Essen Hauptbahnhof someday when all the new buildings are built. That would be awesome. I can go there and say I helped build this thing.

No comments: