Sunday, July 29, 2007

DDR Stamps

No, not Dance Dance Revolution. It was miserable outside today. Cold and rainy. I got myself out of the house anyway since I figured it would be a crime to just sit around when I only have 3 weekends left in Germany. So I got a döner kebab for lunch. It was good except that they used normal bread instead of pita. But the bread was toasted so it was good anyway.

After this, I really wanted to just go back since the weather was so bad. But I decided to go to a flea market to hunt for some cool stamps. I went to the one near the museums and tried to juggle my umbrella in one hand while trying to look through stamps with the other. I stayed at one of the stands for a while but the lady didn't seem to mind. I guess they're used to collectors coming and looking through stuff. Anyway, I found a nice package of 100 DDR stamps for 5 Euros. The stamps are in pretty good condition so I thought they were worth it. I really like this one with the ships.

I started walking to the nearest S-Bahn station, which is a 10 minute walk. I think the BVG is building a new U-Bahn line that will have a stop at the Museum Island. I think this is very good investment. Anyhow, I discovered a chain of antique stores. They're like a permanent flea market. They're so awesome. They're all connected and some of the stores had really cool things like old typewriters, sextants, silverware, and of course more stamps. I was really happy.

I know, these pictures are kinda useless but I won't get to upload anymore pictures for a while. Not unless I smuggle my camera into the office and upload there...

1 comment:

yalu said...

LOL my mom has an extensive stamp collection too. She's kind of stopped now, and I'm not helping her because there are so many stamps, and it's so much work, and they get really expensive. With coins, it's not like she collects exotic or rare coins, she just wants a large variety, so they're pretty simple. Maybe when I go to Europe I'll get her some though, but it sounds like a lot of work.

Hey I've been collecting those souvenir pennies. You know, those things that you stick a dollar and a penny in and they imprint something. I like those =) and I have a small booklet, but they're only meaningful if you go there, so it's a different kind of collection. But I've gotten five this summer !