Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Mango

i accomplished a lot yesterday. i managed to buy a monthly public transit pass and register at the foreigner's office. and yes, all this involved a mango.

after i played around with electronic ticket machines and failed to find the monthly passes, i decided to take my changes at a ticket booth. the guy i talked to at potsdamer platz asked me for a student ID. so i handed him my MIT one, infinitely useful, right? anyway, he said that i needed to be a student of berlin. so i tried to tell him that i'm an intern. i even showed him my DB card but he wanted a letter. so i was sad and left. on the train, i realized i had papers saying that i'm an intern. i took them with me in the morning so i can register. so after spending an extra 2.10 euros for the subway ticket, i arrived my destination and proceeded to ask again. the lady at the ticket booth spoke very little english but she acceptedc my documentation. but she needed a portrait of me. now i'm really sad since i had no idea how i was going to get her a picture. she tells me there's a picture taking machine downstairs. elated, i go and find that it needs exact change. this is where the mango comes in. i bought a mango from the fruit stand, took a picture, and finally got a monthly ticket. this thing costs 50.50 euros. expensive! but a lot better than buying single tickets all the time. *sigh

1 comment:

yalu said...

Wow, sounds like a lot of work just for a bus pass