Saturday, October 27, 2007

London!

Haven't written in a while. Mainly because I wanted to do it right and have pictures and such. But I didn't take any pictures in London (it's okay, Yalu, I'll explain) today so yeah.

So I decided to finally go to London because 1) I haven't been there and 2) there's an exhibition of Chinese books at the School of Oriental and African Studies at the University College of London. So I had a valid excuse of other than sightseeing.

I got up at 7am and got on the 7:45am bus. We got there at 10am. The bus driver wasn't very nice and neither was the bus ride. I think I'm going to take the train next time. It's so much nicer. I'm willing to shell out a few extra pounds just because the train is faster, more comfortable, and once you buy a ticket, you can get on any train.

Once we got to Victoria station, I found out that I have this giant headache which really ruined the rest of the day for me. I wanted to go see the Big Ben and peek around Westminster but some of the underground lines were closed so it was a hassle to get there. I found the Chinese book exhibition place after searching for a long time and was disappointed because they were doing a whole lot of talking and not enough exhibiting.

I met up with Dian and 2 of her friends from Oxford at the Science Museum. There are a bunch of museums near by and they are all free (at least they were today). The Science Museum was pretty cool. We wandered around for a while but it mostly consisted of Dian and I chatting about England and stuff that's been happening back at MIT (this girl really needs to start reading the Tech).

After that, we went to Chinatown and had dim sum. Unfortunately, I only had a few things before I had to leave to catch the bus back. It was a shame since I really wanted to explore Chinatown. It's right next to the theater district, just like Boston's Chinatown! Oh wells, next time.

So I rushed to the bus station to find that I missed the 3:30pm bus. There was a CME formal at Downing College which was why I needed to rush back. So I ended up taking the train. It only went part of the way because there some repairs going on and we all had to get on a bus. But it was still really fast since neither the train nor the bus stopped anywhere and just kept going. The train station is actually not that far away. It's probably about the same distance as Tesco and Asda (okay, maybe a little farther but you just go along one road and you get there). So I got back with plenty of time to spare. Will blog about the formal later.

1 comment:

yalu said...

lol poor Lucy! big headache, running around, underground lines closing, and missing her bus! man it must have been interesting explaining the stabbing to Dian. I'm glad you finally went to London though!

Oooh, this weekend, on Friday night I finished a pset, and on Saturday morning until 3 I did most of another, and then went to a McC Constitution meeting until 5...basically this week I have 2 psets and 2 midterms. I was so proud...so ahead for once! And then I haven't done anything since. LOL. Watched a movie with Mikey, went out to dinner, shopping for fruit, etc. His car sputtered a bit and scared the heck out of both of us.

Pumpkin carving tonight! Remember Daniel's friend the pumpkin snowman? I'm not doing any carving tonight, need to get started on studying for my midterms, but I'm def going for ice cream and pumpkin pie.