Saturday, October 6, 2007

In Search of Cheaper Food

Unlike MIT, there is a grocery store less than half a mile from where I live. Sainsburys is right in the city center and has foods for reasonable prices. But still not very cheap. So this morning, I decided to ride my bike and search for Tesco, a big Kmart-like supermarket that is supposed to have cheaper prices.

I wanted to get up early so I can avoid traffic. But that didn't happen and I got out of my dorm at around 10am. After dusting the spiderwebs off my bike, I started the trip. The trip took a lot longer than it was supposed to. Partly because I didn't know exactly where Tesco is (somewhere on Newmarket Rd, a mile and a half away) but mostly because I was too scared to actually ride the bike. So many cars everywhere! I rode the bike whenever I managed to find a quiet street. Sometimes there are bike lanes. By sometimes I mean it would exist for half a block, end and then start again 2 blocks later. I don't understand these English people. In Germany, bike lanes are everywhere and continuous. Did I mention I had to ride on the left side of the road? Weird.

Anyway, I found the place. It is indeed a huge supermarket. I think the prices are actually cheaper although I need to check. I spent a long time inside the store trying to dodge other people and finding the cheapest form of things that I needed.

I was worried that I won't be able to ride the bike since it's looks a little taller than I would like. But it's actually pretty comfortable and I have no trouble getting on and off although it would be nice it the seat was a little lower.

No comments: