Monday, August 20, 2007

Sunday: Souvenir Hunting

At around noon, I left to go souvenir hunting, for real this time. Jingwen didn’t come with me because her feet started hurting again. She thinks it’s because she walked too much in the past couple of weeks. I didn’t know this could happen but it is.

I took the train the Frederickstrasse and walked towards the Brandenburg Tor on Unter den Linden where all the souvenir shops are. Not going to write about what I got since it would be no fun for the people who are getting these gifts. Well, half the stuff I got is for me but whatever. Anyway, from Brandenburg Tor I took Bus 100, which goes through a lot of the tourist attractions. I didn’t really know where I wanted to go but I was just getting a little tired of walking and wanted to find a good café. The ones on Unter den Linden didn’t look too great to me. So I hopped on the bus and got off when I saw a place that looked like it has some good cafes. Makes me want to get one of those shirts from Life is Good that say “All who wander is not lost.” That’s what I felt like.

Anyway, the area did have some good cafes. I got some more souvenirs and drank a ice latte mocha at a Balzac Café. There is one near where I work but I’ve never tried it. It was okay. Apparently they specialize in espressos and I wanted coffee. My mocha was made with espresso. Couldn’t find wireless but it was fun watching people walk by. This is one of the things I really like about Germany. On Sundays, people actually relax. They walk to the park, drink coffee at cafes, read the paper, and just sit around. Or they go to museums or tour other cities. I wish Americans traveled around more. Not camping but just tour another city for a day or two. I guess it’s not the same since there aren’t a whole lot of historical sites in the US. Not like in Europe anyway.

When I got back to Wannsee, I got currywurst at one of the imbiss stands outside of the station. There is actually an Eis Café (ice cream café) there. I didn’t even know. I mean, I knew that you can get ice cream since there is a big plastic ice cream cone in front but I didn’t know you can get eiskaffe (coffee with ice cream) and tall glasses of ice cream things. The currywurst was pretty good. It’s just sausage with ketchup and curry powder. I got it with fries. The fries were freshly fried and were so hot that I nearly burned my tongue 10 minutes after I got the fries. I wish I know more about sausages though. There are a million different kinds here. I don’t really like the pink, monotexture type. I like the thick, spiced ones. It seems to be a hit and miss every time I get a bratwurst. More misses than hits unfortunately. The best one I’ve tasted so far was in Lubeck. Outside their rathaus, during an Italian festival.

Speaking of ice cream, I've eaten more ice cream this summer than my past two years at MIT.

1 comment:

yalu said...

It's not the same. Like in New England you can do that (tour other cities) and it's a lot of fun. New York is 4 hours from here, and you can do a lot in between. Even Philly is only 6 hours. But outside of this area, it's really far to get anywhere and really difficult =( esp. in the midwest, takes forever to go anywhere