Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Bonn Part II -- Arrival

I saw Fan from the window when I was getting off. But there were a lot of people and I was the last one off. When I got off she had already walked away. I caught up with her and finally, after 8 years of writing to each other, we met in person.

From the train station we walked to her dorm. It wasn't far and I got to see part of the town. Bonn is a pretty small city and is very nice. The streets are pretty small, which I liked. I can't stand these 6 lane things that are in Berlin. They're so wide that they have to put an island in the middle for pedestrians. It takes a full minute to get across to the other side. Horrible.

Her dorm only houses 30 people. There are bigger dorms but she said she likes the smaller ones because you get to know people and it’s like a family. Her room is on the top floor so instead of a window, she gets a skylight. I thought this was pretty cool. She said that it makes her room very hot, especially in the summer. She has a view of the church from her window. The bells of the church ring every 15 minutes. It starts at 6:15am every morning. Her room is pretty big. It has its own sink. She shares a bathroom with a couple of other people. There is a bathroom with a shower and a kitchen on the floor below. The school has a cafeteria so not everyone cooks. Their meals are actually at reasonable prices (2-3 Euros).

It was getting late so we cooked dinner. She put cheese in one of the dishes and it was really good. I need to try this sometime. We talked for a while. After we both took a shower, she showed me pictures of her trip with her former neighbor, Jenny. Jenny is an exchange student from Wisconsin but had left for home last week. They went on a trip to Austria and southern German cities with Jenny's parents. They seemed to have had a lot of fun. I think we went to sleep at around 1am that night. Fan had another mattress and bedding for me.

1 comment:

yalu said...

It's so cool you get to meet a childhood pen pal (well not really, but still!)

Heh, I've seen some meal plans for colleges here that are more ridiculous than ours.