Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Leaving NYC

One more hour until I leave for the airport. It's been a great summer. Job was cool. Volunteered a lot and saw some interesting neighborhoods in the process. Hung out with Yalu (finally a summer together!). Learned a lot about looking for and living in an apartment (MIT totally spoiled us with guarantee housing).

The past few days were pretty relaxing. Yalu, Mike, and I went to see a free HD screening of an opera outside the Met. There's always so much free stuff to do in NYC. I think I need to keep tabs on stuff like this for San Francisco. I probably could have done more of this stuff this summer but I worked pretty late (compared to previous summers). I mean, I've been to nearly all the big museums in Berlin, for free. Anyway, Saturday night was pretty long. It involves celebrating Yalu's birthday...Looking forward to the sunny, not humid weather.

Anyway, Xin moved into my room on Sunday and I moved all my stuff over to Yalu's room. We slept late on Sunday, watched a movie, ate lunch, and were napping when Xin showed up. That night we went out to a Thai place for Yalu's birthday. Should have taken pictures... I forgot I brought my camera. I didn't take very many pictures this summer. Wayy too many tourists taking pictures around me that I didn't feel like taking any myself.

Yesterday (Monday) I attempted to do some souvenir shopping but wasn't very successful. I did end up eating a frozen yogurt and one and a half ice cream cones though. I've been wanting to try out this Red Mango place and Mr Softie for the longest time. Didn't think I would try them all in one night though. I also attempted to run the Central Park loop. That was a total disaster. My left leg started feeling extremely tired after a short stretch. I managed to make it to the reservoir and back. It took me forever to do this since I was walking a lot of the time. My MP3 player also started acting weird. So it was just really sad. I think I need to get new running shoes. Hopefully my muscles will be in better shape when I get home so I can start running the lake again.

Looking forward to being home and having catching up with people! Once I get home, I'll be unpacking and repacking again. So much traveling and moving in the last four years. It feels strange to think about "settling" somewhere.

1 comment:

X said...

On one of the orientation days someone mentioned Red Mango and I thought it was a type of mango... I remember seeing it with you in NYC but I just didn't make the connection at the time.