Monday, September 7, 2009

Back Home!

We went fishing today! Didn't manage to catch any fish but it was fun. We have two fishing poles that we got a long time ago when we used to go to San Francisco to fish but haven't used recently. Usually you have to buy a fishing license to fish but the East Bay Parks have two "no license" days (July 4th and Labor Day) where you can fish for free. Anyway, we got all sorts of bait but apparently none of them worked. Casting the line was a challenge. There were a lot of people fishing but we didn't see any big catches. I think the serious fishermen came in the morning and were probably leaving by the time we made it over there (noon-ish).

I have one more week before I move over to Stanford. I've been repacking since I got home. I have so much junk. I've accumulated so much stuff over the past four years. And now there's so much stuff I want to bring over. I have a couple of boxes of notes and books that I feel like I need to have. It seems so weird to be packing all this stuff since I'll only be there for a (relatively) short period of time. Anyway, I hope this bookshelf that they provide is big. I think I'll need the space.

Sad news. I think the Oakland Libraries canceled their subscriptions to the Primsleur Language EAudioBooks on NetLibrary. Those things were so useful. I was just going to resume my foreign language learning hobby too. I mean, they could have been more useful had they decide to subscribe to the text that went with the audio but still... Anyway, I think I'm going to explore some more languages, just for fun. Now that I'm in grad school, I'll probably be meeting a lot more international people.

Stanford has this really cool website where you can plan out your classes. You can enter the classes you plan to take and it'll show you which requirements (undergrad) your courses will fulfill, their schedule (if available), number of credits, and expected number of hours of work per week. I entered my classes for the autumn quarter and apparently 10 units is considered a heavy load. Anything above this is an "insane load", which I found weird since I think most of the other Masters students will be taking more than 10 units.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to classes starting and having somewhat of a regular schedule again. Of course, once classes start, I'll wish it were vacation. When I'm at home, time just seems to pass by so quickly, without me ever seeming to accomplish anything. I guess I probably should go through my pile of magazines before leaving though.

2 comments:

yalu said...

what other languages are you going to start trying to learn?

i still have time, but i feel so unmotivated ;-)

X said...

are you going to take a class on that language or learning it on your own?