Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Day Two: The Frosh Move In

I think I nearly ran over a couple of parents today. So this morning we went towards main campus and there were a ton of cars and people. I remember reading that today is the move-in day for freshman. I wonder why they made it on Tuesday. Must be tough for the parents. Anyway, there were also a ton of upperclassmen all wearing red t-shirts that say something like "I love freshman" and "May I help you?" They were giving directions, holding signs, and even helping unload cars. I thought this was really nice. All the freshman events were staffed by these staffed by upperclassmen being helpful.

Today feels like a very productive day. I got a bunch of stuff done. Shuo and I got frozen yogurt in the morning with other people living in the "Plains of Rains," which is buildings 215 and 216. Then I got my Stanford ID. So now I can check out books, go to the gym, etc. Got my bike registered and got lights for them. Now that I need to bike everywhere, my helmet is always either clipped to my backpack or on my head. And I'm keeping the lights along with a set of hex wrenches in my backpack. After that, we checked out the bookstore, which is very much like the Coop except with more humanities books. I thought each department had very little classes that required books compared to MIT. Their course readers have very nice covers.

We came back for lunch. I met someone while getting my ID who had gone to Skyline. She went to Berkeley for undergrad and is now a first year Masters student at Stanford. She's also doing civil engineering - design and construction integration. She said she recognized me from a scholarship panel that we both went to senior year in high school. And if that's not enough, she's living in the same building! She's living on the first floor. The world is so small. She came by my apartment in the afternoon and we chatted for a while.

In the afternoon, I went out again to talk to the financial aid office. There were a few freshman there asking about their finaid too. After that, I went to see where the Geoscience buildings were. The Mitchell building turned out to be right next to the engineering library. So I went to check that out for a little bit. They seemed to have a good collection of books but not as much as I would have liked. I didn't manage to find any geo-related books but maybe they're all in the geology library? There are a lot more libraries here than at MIT so all the collections are probably more spread out. Then I went to check out the Language Lab in the Meyer library. The library itself is very nice but the language lab is nothing like the one at MIT. They're just computers with a couple of programs to record yourself and such. No foreign language learning CDs or videos or cassettes. The language centers at MIT and Cambridge were loaded with stuff. But maybe these resources are more departmental here?

I spent the rest of the day chilling. Shuo and I ate dinner together (i.e. heated up her leftovers). I organized and decorated my room. My desk is a mess of wires but at least there's not pile of papers anymore. I like the big monitor and all but having a monitor, laptop, mouse, keyboard, and corresponding cables take up so much room! Not sure if this will work out when I have to pset. But maybe I'll be doing a lot of stuff on the computer? We'll see.

No comments: