Saturday, June 13, 2009

Weekend Adventures

Or.. lack thereof. All I've been doing today (Saturday) is watch Stargate. Lots and lots of Stargate. I'm almost finished with the series. Just one and a half more season to go. Okay, this sounds really lame. I'm sitting in the middle of Manhattan and all I've been doing is watch stuff online. Yeah. Well, blame it on the weather. It's been rainy with the threat of thunderstorm lately. By lately, I mean pretty much the whole time I've been here.

Well, I did manage to go out the door today. I went to the library in an attempt to get a library card. I went into the research library not knowing that the normal library (one where you borrow books from) is not attached to the research one. There were swarms of tourists taking pictures of themselves with this library. I didn't know it was such a big attraction. The research library had large tables in the middle with lamps. The books are all around the room. There were quite a few people doing research there. The whole setup reminded me of the Caius library in Cambridge. But I think the Caius library had a more comfortable feeling to it. No security guards searching your bags before you go in. Seriously, is it really necessary?

Anyway, I filled out the computer form and went to the desk to get a library card. The guy handed me one and I thought I was all set. I was so happy to get a card so easily. I found out that the borrowing library was across the street and explored their stacks for a while. I picked out a bunch of books and was so excited until I got to the check out desk where they informed me I still had to show a proof of address. So sad! I thought I was all done. Couldn't check out the books or anything. So... that's why I ended up watching as much Stargate as I did. I was really sad after I came back.

But on the way back, I discovered a Chinese food place near where I'm living right now. It's got fast food, pastries, and bubble tea. There were a lot of non-Chinese people eating there but the place is definitely run by Chinese people. I decided to get food there for dinner. They have a 5 entree deal for $5. Basically, they give you a styrofoam box and you get to choose 5 entrees from their trays. They give you the portions. I got so much food that I don't think I ate even half of it. It's funny because there were definitely people whose choices made them end up with half as much food as I did. I wasn't even going for the best deal. I mean, $5 for a box of food is pretty good deal in the first place. After I picked out 4 things, I even considered not getting a 5th item because I already had so much food on my plate. Anyway, I picked out some really Chinese things like eggplant and pig's feet instead of the fried chicken that some other people were getting. Anyway, the food was okay. Not like gourmet or anything but it was good enough.

1 comment:

yalu said...

haha you are so funny...gotta keep up the exploring!