Monday, June 1, 2009

Senior Week - The Beginning

Wow, I've done a lot since my finals ended. After apartment hunting with Yalu and friends, Yalu and I have been having all sorts of adventures.

5/25 Monday. We went to the Cambridgeside Galleria and went shopping for clothes. We walked quite a bit again even though we had just came back from walking 20 miles over the weekend. Managed to get a couple of shirts.

5/26 Tuesday. I volunteered for Stuff Fest in the morning and early afternoon. Stuff Fest is an organized way for students to get rid of stuff at the end of the year. Basically, all the dorms are supposed to provide tables or bins for residents to drop off their stuff. Other students can take and exchange all they want. On Tuesday, we sorted the stuff out to give to different charities. This took quite a bit of work. I couldn't believe the amount of stuff that McCormick had. I think we must have had like 20 big trash bags of stuff, mostly clothes. After sorting through an enormous amount of clothes, I helped with Science Club for Girls' 15th anniversary event.

5/27 Wednesday. We didn't do too much this day. It was raining and really cold the whole day. We picked up our cap and gown!

5/28 Thursday. Busy, busy. In the morning, Yalu and I went to the MIT Museum and walked around. Thought we'd use our student privileges before they expire. After lunch, we met up with Mike and went to the Charlestown Navy Yard. We took the scenic route getting there. But we were able to go on the ship and got a tour of it, which was pretty exciting. Then we walked over to Bunker Hill and climbed the monument, something that I've been meaning to do. It was a fun day.

5/29 Friday. The night before, I had noticed my phone was doing something weird and was not charging properly. So I walked all the way to Central only to find that the AT&T store was closed and a sign saying that they moved to the Galleria. So I took the subway over to Kendall where I saw Yalu going to her lunch with a professor. We had been on the same train coincidentally. I went to the Galleria and was given the number to call the phone warranty. So that was really disappointing. I called later that night and they're sending a new battery over. I think my phone is working somewhat normally now but not sure. Anyway, after that, Yalu and I went to the Harvard Peabody Museum. Yalu has a Harvard ID which allowed her and a friend into the museum for free. So that worked out really well. The Peabody museum is connected to the Natural History Museum so we explored that too.

5/30 Saturday. We woke up to the sound of people doing stuff outside our door. I thought it must be the floor waxing crew waxing our hallway. So I looked outside through the eye hole and found that we were pretty much trapped inside our room. So we chilled in our room for the whole morning. Friday night was the kickoff for Senior Week and the event for the weekend was discounts to Newbury street stores. In the afternoon, we walked around Newbury St to check out these discounts. We ended up buying stuff in a store that was not on the list. And then, we walked to the Earth Festival at the Hatch Shell and discovered the Charles River Esplanade. I can't believe we didn't know this part of the river existed all these years. The esplanade is such a nice area to walk, picnic, and just chill. You can sit right on the water. It's really nice. That night, we went to a beach bonfire, another senior week event. There weren't that many people. The organizers rented out two big buses but the second bus was really empty. What a waste. We drove an hour and a half to a beach on the Cape and sat around fires eating hot dogs franks and smores. We all ate wayy too much. I think I ate 3 franks, 3 smores, and many marshmellows. It was too cold to do anything but sit around the fire.

5/31 Sunday. We had planned to on a seal watching kayaking trip. We got there and went halfway out when the weather suddenly turned really bad. The waves were extremely choppy and the wind was blowing really hard. Yalu and I were on a tandem together and we had a lot of trouble. First, there weren't enough kayaks so they had to bring another one for us. This meant we were the last to launch. We had some trouble with the rudder and ended up doing a lot of zigzagging. So we were lagging behind the rest of the group the whole time. We got beached twice, towed twice, and got super soaked by the waves. We had even planned a beach trip afterwards but we obviously decided against this. We ended up coming back to McCormick, chilled, and played the Wii for an hour or so. Then we participated in another Senior Week event, movie on the lawn. We watched Transformers under a big tent on Kresge. The grass was wet. It was super cold and windy out. But they provided popcorn, soda, and a really big screen.

No comments: