Friday, June 12, 2009

First Week of Work

I've spent a full week at work now. It's been tiring. You'd think that Fridays are more relax. It is. Except I was helping one of the guys with his report that is due today. So he kept giving me stuff to do. So I didn't even go out to lunch with the other people. Just ate the sandwich I had leftover and kept working. The guy I was working with hardly left his desk the whole day. He was in before I got there and was still working when I left. He finished but still, definitely stressful. He sits right next to me so it was very convenient.

The people in my group seem to go out to lunch quite a bit. I think a lot of times they just bring their lunch back and eat at their desks. I'll try to join them when they have time to sit outside the office. But they eat pretty late. They go out between 12:30 and 1pm. They definitely left at 1pm today. But maybe that's because there was bagels and pastries in the kitchen this morning. I don't know if it's a Friday thing or not. But there was definitely a lot of food. Boxes of bagels, different kinds of cream cheese, even plates and knives. The office has a bagel slicer.

I think the office is intentionally designed to be very open. I don't know if I like this over having more partitions. There are really only partitions between aisles. But even those are very superficial. If you stand up, you can look over. There are glass panels on top of these short partitions but I think they are for sound and decoration. Between desks on the same aisle, there's nearly no partition. You have a little nook where your computer goes. But you share a desk with the person next to you. And if you slide back on your chair, you can see everyone. But... I don't sit in one of these aisles. I sit in this island thing in between two aisles and not even with my group. I'm in the middle of the civil group. On one hand, it's kind of nice to be with people who know how to use CAD and other computer related things. On the other hand, I don't really know what other people on my team are doing. I mean, I can hear them talking on the phone but it's not the same. I think this non-partitioning makes you feel more like a team. Anyway, maybe I'll get a chance to switch desks at some point. I mean, I did last summer and it gave me a whole different perspective to things.

No comments: