Sunday, June 21, 2009

Week Two

It's been two weeks since I moved to New York now. I think I have about 12 weeks of summer. Here's a summary of this week.

Work. On Tuesday, there was a photo scavenger hunt for the interns. There 23 interns in the office. I don't think all of them are engineering. We split into teams to hunt for things like, "a picture of a teammate driving a cab" or "entire team walking a dog." So basically, we had to talk to a lot of strangers asking them to take pictures of us doing weird stuff. It was fun and I finally saw the faces of the other interns. The rest of the week, I was working on a very large, very tedious assignment for most of this week. It was pretty monotonous but at least it's local so I'll go one day to see the site. And then on Thursday at 5pm, these two guys started asking me to do stuff for them. They were asking for stuff to be done for Friday but still, it took them time to explain stuff. So I got out of the office later than I wanted to. And Friday was pretty hectic since I was trying to get stuff done. I came home pretty tired on Friday. Which is good. I like being busy. The other project was so boring without a deadline.

Play. Lena came on Tuesday with a bunch of 11th graders from Oakland High. They stayed until Thursday. So on Tuesday, after my scavenger hunt, I met up with Lena and a friend of hers who had gone to China with her. We ate at a cafe and then walked around. We didn't meet up on Wednesday but on Thursday, we went to watch a movie, Muriel's Wedding, with some of the kids. The kids came to see NYU and Columbia and did some sightseeing. On Thursday night, they're taking an overnight bus to DC and then taking the train back up to Boston at some point. Their itinerary sounds painful with all these overnight trips. But I guess it saves them money.

Food. There's not really any big grocery stores near where I live. I think there should be one near where I work but I haven't found it yet. I have been buying most of my food in Chinatown. Things are so much cheaper there. This Chinatown is very big and you can find everything you need. Seriously, you do not need to step outside of Chinatown for anything. Koreantown is near where I'm living right now but it's a long walk away. I should see if there's a bus that goes there. But hopefully, we will get the keys to the new place in Times Square soon and I can start exploring that part of town. And I was just getting used to living near Penn Station...

No comments: