Monday, June 16, 2008

Languages

I've discovered (during my week in Paris) that I have the hardest time pronouncing French. Such strange stuff. I really had no clue how to say anything.

Anyhow, I have a grand plan of making my brother learn a foreign language with me over the summer. This way, I have some motivation. Haven't actually chosen a language yet. My brother seems vaguely interested. Lately, he's been saying no to everything so I'm not too sure what he actually thinks. His "no"s are more like "count me out unless you can come up with a convincing argument." I'll probably stick to Spanish since it is more useful. Then again, he'll probably take Spanish in high school so maybe we should go for something different? Don't know. It'll be interesting. I bet he will learn much faster than I will.

2 comments:

yalu said...

Yeah, people have told me that before about French, namely Jingwen. I always thought German was hard to pronounce until I learned German I (then I felt much happier about it...I feel somewhat accomplished at least) But yah Jingwen said she didnt "get" French. My pronunciation has gotten much better around here, just hearing it spoken correctly. Apparently I still sound American though, b/c yesterday I tried to make a reservation for our hostel in Tours and the women switched over to talking in English halfway through.

I think you should try something easy with your brother. Spanish is easiest, and he can practice it, so he might be more interested. Maybe he'll be able to skip to a higher level in high school, or take something else...does your school offer French too?

Unknown said...

yea yea, I just can't pronounce French, depiste that I have been to France twice already, and lived in a French speaking host family when I was in Lausanne, Switzerland. Hearing French doesn't help me in pronounciation at all... >.<