Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Family and Friends

First off, I added another poll to the right for anyone who might still want to vote. I also added PB to the options. The original post about the 3 options is in this post. The information still applies, mostly.

Again, did not get any studying done today. But still productive. I guess if you look at the bigger picture, it has probably been more productive than doing studying for these exams. Although I really need to stop looking at this "bigger picture" and start studying soon....

After waking up really late, we brought my brother to the district's bilingual office where we found out that he passed the district's requirements to get out of bilingual education. To do this, he not only needed to pass the English proficiency test given out by his school, but he also had to get a certain score in the California state exams as well as good report card grades. And then my mom had to sign saying that she wanted him "relabeled" as a fluent English speaker. I never knew it was this complicated. This is why some of my classmates from high school where getting pulled out of AP English to be tested for English fluency.

Okay, more interesting stuff. I met up with EBMUD people to have lunch. I haven't seen these people in such a long time. More than 2 years already. I feel like I don't know anything about anyone anymore. I realized something a few weeks ago. If I end up working as a civil engineer in the Bay Area for a consulting firm, chances are, I might someday be designing stuff for EBMUD. I could be talking to the same people but they would be clients. Whoa, weird.

I really need to do more of this stuff. Meet up with people I haven't seen in a long time. I think GEO2 people are next up on the list of former coworkers. I really don't have time this time around so maybe next school year. Someone remind me!

After that, I met up with a couple of friends from middle school. I was really happy how this scheduling turned out since I would've probably spent the rest of the afternoon in a library and not do any studying anyhow. We talked mostly about college life and future plans. Well, future plans being how now that we've all lived away from our parents, experienced life outside of the Bay Area, made new friends, went to new places, did all these things, and yet still have no clue what our next 5 years will look like. It was really cool seeing them. We didn't do anything other than sit at Starbucks. Seriously, that's all we did. I showed them the Oakland City Center food places and they were pretty impressed at how nice it is.

A few days ago, I discovered 2001: A Space Odyssey (the book). It was on display at the library so I grabbed it on the way out. Today I went back for the next two books in the series. I think there's supposed to be a 4th book but I didn't see it. Guess you can't expect Book 4 in a trilogy to be easy to find.

3 comments:

docey101 said...

oh lucy, congrats on the internship! i'm excited to go back and catch up. hmm, have any of my stories deterred you from choosing china? although anh will be in shanghai. nytimes got this 36 hours in berkeley travel tour guide article thing, you want to try it out? (fyi: from time to time, nytimes is censored by china too, so annoying!!) haha

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
yalu said...

yeah that happened to me in 8th grade. got pulled out of math class to take an english proficiency exam, because i couldnt speak english fluently when i was in kindergarten and sort of through 1st grade. ehh, little kids learn to speak really quickly.