Saturday, July 2, 2011

Long weekend: Macau, hiking, etc.

Last long weekend until September! We had Friday (July 1st) off. The rest of the work week was pretty chill after our submission on Monday. We all stopped working by 6:30pm on Thursday and left by 7pm. I pushed the guys out the door. No need to stay if we're not doing much.

Some people from work were heading to Macau on Friday so I joined them. There were four of us total and we met up near the ferry terminal at 9:45am. By the time we got tickets and boarded the boat, it was 10:45 so we got there at noon. The boat ride was really bumpy. I got sick but luckily didn't eat very much for breakfast. I felt better after standing in the long line for customs. That line was ridiculous. I think we were there for an hour and a half.

We randomly got on a bus and got off at a touristy destination. It took us a while to find food because we wanted Portuguese instead of Chinese food. We headed away from the main touristy area but gave up and settled for a cafe near the main plaza. We walked around the historical district because none of us were interested in the casinos. I would like to go walk around in them just for the sake of seeing them. Maybe next time. We wanted to get back on the last boat possible but all the tickets were sold out. So we ended up leaving on the 8:30pm boat, which meant we were heading to the ferry terminal by 7pm.

I decided to go hiking on Saturday. I left the apartment at around noon and went to the office to fill out my reimbursement forms. I tried to do them at home but it was too difficult without a nice table, stapler, copier, etc. So I spent a bit of them there sorting everything out. By the time I got to Wan Chai, where I was hoping to find a hiking trail up the mountains, I was starving. I went to KFC again because it was the first thing I saw and I didn't want to be looking around for other food. I really like KFC here. They let you sit around and there's usually a bathroom available.

I couldn't find any website with a clear description of how to get to the trails from downtown. So I headed up a long flight of stairs that I saw while walking south. I think it would have been smarter to take a bus up and then walk down. But I found a trail eventually, behind some expensive looking serviced apartments.

It was good to get away from the city for a while. I didn't really stop to picnic anywhere even though I bought some snacks with me. I was afraid of getting bitten. I took the bus back down to the MTR station. I passed by the Wan Chai market on the way and peeked inside. It's so nice! Air conditioned and very clean, like the ones in Singapore.

I was pretty tired when I got back. Went to buy a few things and cooked dinner. I did some rearranging of my kitchen area and finally got hooks for the bar on the wall. Finally feeling comfortable using the kitchen area. All my appliances have a designated place now.

Thinking of going to the beach today to relax. Not sure if I'm going to make it though. I went running this morning and is exhausted from sweating too much. I even got up at 6:30am and it was still super hot. Not sure what to do about this. Maybe I should join a gym....

No comments: