Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Running in the Park

I've managed to run almost every other day in Central Park for a few weeks now. I try to run at least 3 times a week. I would probably run more but it's been raining here a lot and I don't want to run in the pouring rain. I've gotten to the point where I don't get sore from running anymore, which is a big improvement over week 1. Not that I run a lot. I usually do a short loop of ~2 miles. Today though, I decided that I want to run a little more than usual since I managed to leave work at 6pm (that's early!). I usually enter the park from the south side and run north. Today, I decided to go more a little more north and turn around at the reservoir (as in, run to south of the reservoir). But after jogging along the path for a while, I noticed that the reservoir was next to me. I didn't realize this for a while because the path next to the reservoir is elevated, I guess, for when the water is high. So I ended up running way too much and spent a lot of time walking instead. Anyway, I guess it was good. Hopefully by the end of the summer, I can manage to run to the reservoir and back without stopping. I don't really care about how long it takes, I just want to work on the running for now. Anyway, might be sore tomorrow from all this running...

Other news, I've booked a flight for home! Leaving NYC on September 1st, with no plans of coming back to the east coast anytime soon. Feels a bit weird...

We had our last intern event today. It was an ice cream social where they invited four recent grads (who started last year) to talk about their experiences at Arup so far. One of them had worked as an intern before he joined. They had a lot of positive things to say about the company, which is to be expected. I wish they left more time for chatting after the event. Everyone just kind of left. They invited a good range of disciplines to talk about their experiences. I wish they had invited people who had worked longer at the company as well.

Anyway, there were a ton of toppings for the ice cream and they gave us all a lot of ice cream. I was stuffed. Half way into the talk, they wanted to move the ice cream upstairs because we all had enough and the ice cream was melting. When they asked if anyone wanted any more, I jumped up and grabbed the a bowl of M&Ms. No one else moved, which I thought was lame. Anyway, I shared with the people around me. Afterwards, there were still some bowls of M&Ms left so I refilled my bowl and headed back upstairs. I should have grabbed the bag of marshmellows that were sitting there and added that to the cookie drawer (my group has a cookie drawer). lol. Anyway, my group was very happy about the M&Ms. Too bad I couldn't save them ice cream. haha.

I think I will be one of the last interns to leave (if not the last). Some people are leaving at the end of this week. There won't be a end of summer presentation. Too bad... Anyway, three and a half more weeks to go. Too soon.

1 comment:

yalu said...

you could still book a flight back to the east coast and visit. bunch of your friends are around...even if you fly back to Boston, I'd come visit you there!