Thursday, August 20, 2009

One more week in NYC

Before leaving last Friday, my supervisor gave me the task of modeling three projects using this new software that the in-house software development part of the company came up with. Well, the program is not entirely new but it's been revamped to contain more features. Anyhow, it's a new program for the team since no one else has ever used it before. Anyway, I find it pretty impressive that the company has such a large software developing group. Their software is used by many other companies as well.

I've spent all week figuring out the program. I think I've finally figured out what it does and how it does what it does and all the special cases to go along with it. I've spent this morning writing up a memo on the special cases and even referenced my test files. I think the new hire will probably be using this program when he starts. Hopefully I won't get an email asking if I remember stuff because I probably won't remember. It looks like I'll finish all three models by the end of Friday. I think my supervisor will be like, "you're done? oh my god..." I think he mentioned something about the new guy picking up where I left off with these programs. Don't think that will be necessary. Which is good since I'm hoping to go see some borehole drilling next week.

This summer has been pretty satisfying. I got to work on a lot of different projects and really contribute to some of them. Made a lot of drawings and calculations. I think in the end, drawings are more important than calculations since everyone looks at drawings and only refer to calculations when things go wrong. lol. But it feels cool to actually do a calc because it means they trust me to actually produce something that makes sense. I mean, can't mess up sketches of proposed boring locations that badly. haha.

It will be sad to leave. But on the other hand, I'm looking forward to going home. I'm taking a flight that will get me home at 7:30pm local time. Much better than getting home pass midnight like I usually do. Made some lunch dates with people already. Anyway, it will be good to get out of this hot and muggy weather.

My potential advisor at Stanford is starting a NSF funded project and might have some opportunities for me. The project sounds really exciting. It combines fluids and soils, which is what I'm interested in. So it would be really cool if I get to work on it. And I'll have time since I'm taking a light load of classes. Unfortunately, he won't be around in September until the first day of classes. He's already approved my choices for classes though.

No comments: