Monday, July 13, 2009

Weekend at the library and zoo

Saturday was a disaster. I signed up to volunteer to walk seniors around Central Park. Seemed like a great way to spend a Saturday morning. Walking around Central Park and chatting with people. Except I didn't make it there. I took the bus the wrong way and ended up on the south tip of Manhattan, in the East Village. The East Village is pretty nice actually. There are some NYU buildings there and everything seems like a college town. Low-rise houses, bagel shops, university chemicals, etc. It seems like a pretty chill and nice to walk around neighborhood. But of course, I was trying to find my way back and didn't really enjoy the neighborhood all that much. I called the team leader for the volunteering event and told him I wouldn't be able to make it. Sadness. Anyway, I've signed up for more volunteering stuff this upcoming weekend. Hope those work out.

So I ended up spending some time at the library, got some books and Macgyver videos. I came back and did some reading. Yalu's mom came for the weekend. We went clothes shopping in the afternoon. I've been buying a lot of clothes lately. I think I'm doing pretty well on the work clothes front now. Yalu didn't manage to buy anything so we'll have to go back some day.

Sunday morning, we got up and went to the Bronx zoo. The trip was shorter than I thought. We got in for free with Yalu's ID and got tickets for the monorail. We had to wait quite a while for the monorail to start because we were the first train and they were still trying to get some of the animals to go on display (i.e. to awake up). It was a pretty nice day out. Not humid and not vey hot. So we had a pretty good time at the zoo, looking at all the animals. I thought the red panadas were really cool. So cute! Looked just like the shifu on Kung Fu Panda.

This morning (Monday) at work, I finished off the drawings for the project I've been working on. Well, they're not totally done yet but they should be by the time I go in tomorrow morning. Speaking of tomorrow morning, we have this call/seminar thing with the London office so we have to go in extremely early. They're doing it during their lunch time, which is 7:30am for us. Usually I'm still sleeping. Better be interesting. Anyway, it seems like I have a queue of people wanting my help with their projects. Don't know why they didn't hire two interns. The tunneling team doesn't have any interns. But they have a new hire. Our new hire didn't start today. So maybe Monday? I doubt he will take any work off of me though since they will probably want to have him work on one or two projects on a long term basis.

No comments: