Tuesday, July 28, 2009

The Rain Was Chasing Me...!

Last Sunday, I volunteered at two different projects. The first one was in a park in Washington Heights, way up on 190th St. We were clearing brush. It was pretty humid out but there were lots of volunteers so we finished early. After this, I headed to Prospect Park in Brooklyn. The entire way there I was feeling really sleepy. So sleepy that I was tempted to get coffee or something with caffine in it. I think it's the humidity. Anyway, I got there after spending more than an hour on the trains because both the A and the Q were making all local stops. I get to the Park and it turns out that the event was a lot smaller than expected. There were supposed to be over 70 vendors at this art festival but only 20 showed up because the weather forecast was scattered thunderstorms. And of course, it did not thunderstorm until after the event. So we didn't do very much. I mostly chatted with some of the other volunteers. That was nice, I guess. We helped with clean up and take down for a bit. Right at 4pm, when the event ended, it started thundering. The winds picked up. So we did everything really fast and left for the train station. The train was wet when it got to the station. The rain was coming from the south, heading north.

So of course, knowing of this impending rain, I stopped by Chinatown to get some rice. Luckily, I was in the store when a wave of rain hit. I managed to wait for it to stop and got on the subway again. When I got out of the subway though, it was pouring rain. It was raining really, really hard. I got out of the NRW stop and can see the apartment across the street. So I put on my jacket and walked across the street. Just crossing the street got me totally soaked. It was like swimming. Anyway, glad we live so close to this subway stop. It rained a lot for the rest of the evening. There were flood warnings.

Luckily, it didn't rain on Saturday at the Arup picnic. The place was very cute. Definitely a great camping place for little kids. Too bad we didn't have a kid to bring with us. We took some pictures which I will post soon.

This week at work started out kind of dull. But I think I need to stay late the next couple of days to finish up some drawings. Arg! They aren't even proper drawings, just figures in a report. Seriously, I don't understand all the fuss.

I met up with my Big Sis (freshman year!) from McCormick today for dinner. She's working for a structural firm in the city. Also did Course 1 and then went to Stanford. We talked a lot about school and work. Apparently she's worked at Arup too, same office, same group!! What a coincidence. I thought that was really cool. The group's changed a lot since she worked there... 3 summers ago. Anyway, it dinner was great.

No comments: