Thursday, February 28, 2013

Updates

Thought I get one more post in before March comes along. Site is getting very busy. Things ramped up after the Chinese New Year holidays. We just had our first on-site site meeting that was super long. I felt like things are really getting serious now. I hope I get help soon because my work load is increasing by the hour. The contractor has two shuttles in the morning and in the afternoon. I used to be able to leave before their first afternoon shuttle leaves at 6:15pm but now I seem to need to take their 2nd shuttle, which leaves at 7:15pm. People stop working at around 6 to 6:30pm so it's perfect time to catch up with paperwork. But I really don't want to stay so late because I get really tired. I sleep pretty early these days as well.

I finally got a smartphone after all this time. I have to call people a lot more now that I am on site and is remote from the office and my support system. So the prepaid thing wasn't working out anymore. And my old phone was really about to die soon so I figured I should upgrade to a monthly plan and a new phone. After much debating, I decided to get a Nexus 4. It's more expensive to get the phone here than in the US but after doing the math, I found that it's cheaper to get it with a plan than to get the phone separately. I live pretty close to places that sell phones and plans. So I basically got prices from all of them and found the bests plan. So now I can respond to emails and such while commuting. I kind of miss the days when I just zone out on transit. I feel like I need more time to zone out.

I also bought my tickets for my April-May trip home! Will update the sidebar on my blog later. I've scheduled my exam and booked my Boston flights as well. I got my holiday approval back from HR today as well. So all set! Can't wait. I'm sure I will need a break before it turns into summer in HK. And I'm sure by the time I get back, my site will be running in a more routine mode.

I'm also looking for a new apartment. I feel like I'm ready to move on from this little thing. I feel like it took quite a while for me to get mentally prepared for the rental prices out here. I think it would be more practical to move closer to site. But I also want to move somewhere where I can go running easily, which would mean I need to go farther out than where I am now. Anyway, I think I just need to make up my mind on where I want to live. Too many neighborhoods in HK. And as long as I get over the fact that I have to pay >$1,000 USD a month, I think I can find a decent place to live. I suppose I should do this soon since I seem to have a lot of guests coming over in the next few months.

No comments: