Sunday, January 1, 2012

In Thailand!

Happy New Year everyone! I can't believe how fast this year has gone by. A reflection post is coming up. But I will write about Thailand first.

This is my first time in Thailand and I am currently in Pattaya, a beach town with lots of Russian people. I guess it's very cold and dark in Russia right now so there is a mass exodus. I left Hong Kong on Saturday morning, the 31st and arrived in Bangkok early afternoon. I was picked up by Mahalia, Oat's little cousin, and Oat's dad. We drove to Oat's home and got a tour of the house and the garden. The family lives on a good size piece of land where they've built their own house and planted a lot of fruit trees. New Year's Eve was spent with lots of extended family and barbaqued seafood. We stayed up for the countdown and then promptly went to bed.

We got up the next morning and prepared for the drive to Pattaya, where a family friend booked a hotel for me. We spent a couple of hours driving, ate lunch, and found a nice beach to hang out in. Unfortunately, there are also a ton of beach resorts along this beach and the security didn't like it that we were using their chairs. After fighting more traffic, we made it to the hotel where Mahalia and I are staying for the next couple of nights.

The plan is to have a relaxing day on the 2nd and then head to Bangkok on the 3rd. I am meeting up with another friend on the morning of the 4th and then flying back to Hong Kong later that afternoon. Clearly, too short of a trip! I'm glad I am getting a chance to just relax, read, and write. Work is very draining. I really see why we need vacations once in a while.

1 comment:

yalu said...

yes, hopefully you will recharge during vacation!!