Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Spring Break

It's really strange to have to think about finishing college. It's really scary to think about all the packing I have to do in a couple of months. I've accumulated a lot of junk. Good thing my parents are coming to help me bring all that stuff back. We probably have to ship some stuff, like books and notes. And I might be working in New York this summer so that just makes it a lot more complicated. I have this image of Yalu and I trying to pack, the room is a mess, and two sets of parents trying to help, and friends stopping by every once in a while. And of course, it will be really hot. It's always hot whenever I move.

I'm leaving tonight for Cornell. This was a short stay home. I usually try to drag out the days so that I get a couple of weekends. And I was visiting schools so I haven't had time to really relax and read magazines, organize pictures, defragment the home computer, and do random stuff that I usually do when I'm home.

I came home last Wednesday, visited Berkeley on Thursday, and Stanford on Friday. We had good weather both days. Sunny and warm. Mahalia and I met up with two other MIT students when we got to Berkeley. It felt kind of weird to be looking at Berkeley as a potential school. I've been there a lot but never seen it as a place that I would go. I guess I thought about it for undergrad but I found out about MIT before I seriously had any thoughts about college. I kept thinking I would bump into people I know but of course I didn't. It was different at Stanford. I had only been to the campus once before and never to the civil engineering building. The civil engineering building at Stanford is pretty awesome. It's new and very nice. Lots of study spaces and places to hang out. And even though I knew a lot less people at Stanford, I managed to run into someone. The architecture at Stanford is much more cohesive. Everything is made to look like Spanish style missions. Anyway, beautiful campus and first year graduate students are guaranteed housing.

I hope it won't be too cold in Cornell. It might rain on Thursday. I hope it rains after I get on the bus to Philadelphia. The head of the fluids mechanics department at Cornell is arranging meetings for me. I wish they had a open house day. It's nice to meet all the other prospective students and see what kind of people they are and where they're from. I wonder why there's no open house.

Anyway, not looking forward to the 8 hour bus ride to Philadelphia. But after that, I'll be at Yalu's house. Yay. We can hang out and talk about where I want to go to grad school. hehe.

I hope to finish all the readings for my anthropology class over this break. I don't want to think about other classes. I really should. I have so much work to do in all my other classes. This one is the most manageable. Anyway, I've already finished 2 of the remaining 4 books so I'm in good shape. Hopefully, I'll have enough time to quickly outline them so I don't forget when we finally discuss them. And maybe I can write 2 reader responses too. Sunday night and Monday will probably be panic days, especially since I'll be flying back to California for Stanford Splash the next weekend!

2 comments:

yalu said...

man, 8 hour bus ride IS really long...I went from Boston to Philly today and it was only a 6 hr drive. I think I spent most of the time looking out the window and zoning out, because I only read half of my book and listened to 3 Chinesepods. Lol

Man I looked at the schedule for next week and was like WHOA. It's quite frightening because we are leaving on Thursday afternoon. Better make sure I don't have any PSETs due on Friday. I still haven't told my Chinese teacher that I won't be there on Friday.

Cate said...

Kathy says...

Hey Lucy! Let me know when you decide where to go :) I'm debating between Berkeley and Stanford, and it would be fun if we ended up going to the same place!