Saturday, November 3, 2007

Dian came to visit!

Dian's at Oxford this semester with 3 other MIT students (2 in material science and 2 in econ). The bus took 3.5 hours and she came on Thursday night.

That night, we met up with Elaine (Dian's friend from course 3), and went out to dinner. We went to Dojo's which is a noodle place featuring mostly Japanese and Thai food. You cannot believe how happy I was to be eating East Asian food. I had no idea how much I miss Asian food. All they serve at our dining hall is British food which consists of a piece of meat, potatoes, boiled vegetables, and salad. And remember, I have to eat there everyday for dinner since they've already charged me for the tickets. I don't really mind the food but I really miss eating Asian stuff so I was really happy. And the amount of food for the price that we paid was great. My friends claim that it's one of the cheapest places to eat. It costs about 5-7 pounds to eat there (which is not cheap by American standards but you really can't go any lower than this unless you want to eat sandwiches here). And they give you giant portions, not like Indian places.

So, after filling myself with seafood udon, we called up some more friends, namely Eddie and Olay. Eddie was really hungry so we went out to eat again. This time to a pizza place. I only ordered a coffee and chatted with the other people. The pizza place was more expensive. I think the guys spent about 8 or 9 pounds on their pizzas and these weren't big either.

The next day, I showed Dian around some of the colleges and she took some pictures on my camera. Which was great since I haven't really taken too many pictures of the colleges. We ended up eating at Dojo's again and went to see fireworks at Downing. Fireworks were really cool but short. We met up with MaryAnn and then a bunch of other CME people. At some point we decided to crash Mahalia's room, chilled there for a while, and then watched a movie in her room. She has a really nice room.

On Saturday we wandered around the shopping area and she left at around 2pm for Oxford. I need to go visit her sometime. I did some pseting with Mahalia, Stella, and Yiling (3rd year, Cambridge student) and then we realized that the upcoming week is absolutely horrible for us. Sad realization since we had just spent 4 hours working on 2 problems, one of which we didn't finish. So yeah, don't expect to hear from me the next week or so.

Only 3.5 weeks of classes left!!!

4 comments:

yalu said...

I know, it's already NOVEMBER...hehe Splash is in a few weeks. Laura and I were planning out our work. Next week PSETs, then bad week with Research Paper and two weeks, and then Thanksgiving, and then week with just PSETs, and (you come back here) and then just one more test in 18.443...WHOA then end of classes! Finals!

Time passes fast. I know we're only a little past halfway through term, but it seems to be a really long while. Actually, I'm glad that term is going by so fast. I don't like this semester, mostly because I don't like my classes, mostly because I don't actually rmr the prereqs and have forgotten how to do a lot of basic math. very VERY sad.

Oh, btw, Afsah and I are taking our advisees to go see the BSO next friday! But I guess you already know that since you're on my advisee mailing list ;-)

Do you know if Dian has a blog?

yalu said...

the "bad week with Research Paper and two weeks" is supposed to be "bad week with Research paper and two tests"

docey101 said...

....aww, i do feel so bad for you guys. for a more uplifting story, write about how you almost got run over. haha, jk. maybe the semester system may be better... dont be too hard on yourself, though. 加油!

what about pics??

djue said...

danngggg... it's almost over :( then finals. your finals are crazy, aren't they?

i miss having easy internet access like i did in argentina. and yeah, beijing is going to be kinda bad with the pollution. sigh. i think we arrive right before mask day or something.