Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Resume

Woah, I just rebooted a university computer to Linux. It's not bad. Lets me use printing commands. But there's no Microsoft Office in Linux. OpenOffice just doesn't cut it when you're doing things like resumes.

I just finished updating my resume to using A4 size paper and UK style. We can have 2 pages for resumes here! At first I didn't know what to do with all the extra space. I went to the Career Office and had a quick session with a career counselor. She said that I had to have either 1 or 2 pages. Not 1.5. It just looks bad with too much empty space, I guess. I sat in front of a computer for a while not knowing how to stretch out my resume. And then I remembered Women's Initiative and UPOP and stuck those in there. Now I have a really balanced work experience and activities sections. I think I like this better than trying to jam everything in one page. Although I think having 2 pages lets people put a lot of junk on their resumes. I looked at some of the sample resumes published by the career center and I think, "Man, what a waste of space." They could've used the space they used for their A-level scores for more work experience. But I think students here generally work less than American students so maybe they need to fill up the space.

1 comment:

yalu said...

Hey...taking a break from studying for this test. Xiumin is in my room right now too...both working. Not having a roommate SUCKS! We've both agreed we're more productive working with other people, so we might try this out more often.

I actually have mine in Open Office. It really sucked at first because I think I had it in Word, and then it got all messed up---when I transferred it, and when I tried to open it up on Athena. And reformatting your resume is just HORRIBLE. Takes forever to make things line up. But I like how easy it is to PDF in Open Office. I mean it's easy to do in Word too, but nothing has Word around here. Def not my computer (sadly).

Yeah I think I could definitely fit more...I took out some of my past work experiences because they just take too much room and aren't that important, and same with activities. I also don't have a Relevant Coursework thing anymore because it just doesn't fit. Although I do think 1page is more concise. The whole stapling thing is kinda bad. Double sided maybe.

Mkay, now I'm just procrastinating. Really really sleepy...