Monday, May 28, 2007

Bikes, trains, and more!

Jingwen and I spent the whole day walking around Berlin. This is one big, amazing city. After feeling lost for half a day, I am now pretty comfortable with traveling around.

The subway system is very extensive. All the stations have digital signs telling you when the next train will arrive. What amazes me the most though is that the buses are on time! I've never been to a city where the buses are on time. When they say 10:05, they mean, 10:05. The bus drivers are really nice too! I feel like I'm in public transportation heaven!

So many things here are on the honor system. You know, the thing that no one paid attention to after elementary school? Here, no person or machine checks your tickets for the subway. You're just expected to buy a ticket and then get on the train. The bus drivers check but they could care less. I mean, how can anyone possibly read the small writing that is on the tickets anyway.

And the bikes. There are so many bikes everywhere. Think college campus. That's what it feels like. There are bikes racks are usually full. I've been passed by many families riding on bikes. I'm not sure but I don't think they use training wheels here. I've seen a couple of small bikes that don't have pedals and the kids just use their feet to push.

I think I'll have lots of fun exploring this city this summer. I really wish I know German. Everyone I've talked to today knows English though. Anyway, off to Greece tomorrow! Hope I'll have internet access there. Will post pictures once I get them from Jingwen.

1 comment:

yalu said...

hey you know what I found today?

A coupon to Chili Duck...remember we were going to eat there? Oops...heh. Next year!!