Saturday, June 2, 2012

Life at the office

Back at the office again. This past week felt like a really long week. I'm glad I took last weekend off because I'm not sure when I can take the entire weekend off like that again in the near future. All of a sudden, I have a lot more deadlines and a lot more stuff to look after. We got some new graduates but it's not the same as getting people who know what they are doing and can make decisions. I think that's the main thing I'm lacking. I feel like I'm technically competent and can do calculations, write reports, mark up drawings, etc. But there are some stages where decisions need to be made and I feel like I just don't have the depth of experience needed to make good judgement. But I guess the only things that can help with that is more time and exposure to different things. Anyhow, got roped into another extremely challenging project.

I bought a book that teaches sketching. I feel like it might be useful to learn how to sketch in 3D. It's so important to be able to visualize in 3 dimensions and sometimes a good sketch can mean a lot. Anyway, we'll see how long this new hobby lasts.

Met up with two friends today for brunch (before heading to the office). They're both '09 grads and are working in finance. I feel like HK is such a different world for them. They mostly hang out (will hang out) with the transient expat crowd who stay in HK for a few years. It's interesting how a place can be so different for different people. Knowing Cantonese can make the difference between being able to hang out with locals and seeing a different side of the city.

1 comment:

yalu said...

Yeah, being fluent really helps! It's a whole different experience.. (just imagine being fluent in German that summer in Berlin!)