Thursday, April 5, 2012

Parents in HK

My parents are here! I'm so tired and it's ALL their fault. I got home really late Tuesday night and then got up really early Wednesday morning to wait for them to arrive. I left the wooden doors open so that I would hear them come. They arrived with a lot of luggage. Good thing they had the sense to take a taxi instead of somehow taking the bus.

Wednesday was Ching Ming, so it's a public holiday here. I was super tired the whole day due to the lack of sleep. We went to dim sum at Tim Ho Wan. The food is good but I don't think they liked the setting very much. Oh wells. And then we went to Mongkok on a fruitless search for an iPad cover. We were there way too early. I only realized that we should have just gone to the computer center near where I live instead. But then we wouldn't have seen how much they were selling for at these big stores. I don't know why people (even my own parents) think that things are cheap in HK. HK is totally a separate country from the Mainland.

Anyhow, we went back to my place and napped for a while. Not sure why parents are always trying to rush. I seriously can't do anything after a flight. Need to sleep or nap or something. It's no use trying to push yourself when you're tired. I napped for a little bit and then decided to let them sleep while I went into the office to get something done. I was there for only about an hour when my dad called. We then went over to the island and had a late lunch/early dinner with a relative. We talked for a long time. After that, I took them to Central and showed them the project that I've been working on. While we were walking, we walked on a sky bridge that had a lot of maids hanging out. Visitors are always shocked by the way the maids just lay down cardboard and sit on these public areas to hang out. And then we were in the LKF area where there were lots of bars and expats hanging out at the bars. Some people were even sitting on the steps of the side walk (very steep hill) to drink and hang out. My dad remarked that these people were just like the maids. Sitting on the street to hang out.

We walked around the IFC and then came back. We finally got an iPad cover at the computer center near where I live. There were so many choices for good prices. Then we were exhausted and came back to my place. On the way back from the island, I started getting text messages from a friend who I met back at Stanford. He happened to be in the area and we decided to meet up. He was having dinner with a friend in Festival Walk of all places and I met them there afterwards. We chatted at Pacific Coffee for a while and I came back pretty late, almost midnight. Wish we had more time to catch up. We met 2 years ago at an aagsa even at Stanford. Seems like it was yesterday! So I went to bed late a second night in a row and then got woken up by my parents really early in the morning.

They're super jetlagged so they started moving around at like 4 or 5am. I gave up on sleeping and got up at 6am. We went for breakfast and I got to the office at 8am. Amazingly, NL was already there. I was so tired that I gave up preparing for the GEO visit. The streets were so empty that it took me forever to find a taxi. I was getting worried when I spotted a lone taxi coming my way. It had a passenger in it and I nearly called the office to get someone to call a taxi for me when it pulled up to drop off a passenger. Looked like someone who was going to our office for a meeting. I went to GEO by myself and I think the GEO engineer felt bad for me because I was just so tired. Anyway, she called multiple times during the day but I think she's satisfied, overall. I feel like I'm "growing up" too fast. Really don't mind being babied through this whole process.

I wanted to leave the office at around 6pm but ended up leaving at like 7pm. I took my parents to dinner at the Dragon Mall nearby. We had a lot of pretty tasty food for a decent price. Now they're snoring again. I should sleep too. Heading off to Thailand tomorrow night!!

No comments: