Monday, August 18, 2008

Last week

Last full week at home, last week at work. This Saturday, I have a wedding to go to, which I have yet to purchase a wedding gift for... On Monday, I take the GRE. And then I fly back on Tuesday. Right now I'm taking a break from practicing for the writing part of the GRE in order to.... write more.

This summer, I finally got to do what I've been wanting to do since senior year in high school, work for an engineering consulting place. I'm pretty sure this is the type of thing I will be doing once I finish with school. I'm still not sure what I want to specialize in. Everyone at work has asked me about what I want to specialize in at least once. I still don't know. Actually, I don't think it matters all that much. I value the people that I work with much more than the projects or the things that I'm working on. I want to work for smart people. Everyone at work are trained to design, have taken similar classes, and can do calculations. But there are definitely a few that stands out in their ability to plan ahead, using their judgment, and produce results that are unquestionably superior. Seriously, it's not that difficult to design a box. But it's the way that you present your results, the way you answer your emails and inquires, and the problems that you anticipate that counts. I really hope that the first group I work for is filled with people who are smarter than I am. So that I can learn to think like good engineers.

Yesterday, I got an invite from the manager of the civil/highway group for a farewell lunch with some of his group and his interns. We're all leaving this Friday. I think I will be eating out a lot this week. This lunch is on Wednesday. Their group goes out to lunch on Fridays (more like every other Friday) but I'm sure they'll go this Friday also.

Anyways, I'm pretty sure I gained a few pounds this summer. All this sitting and no exercising is no good. And watching the Olympics doesn't help either. It's true that you get pretty anxious while watching Michael Phelps win by 0.01 seconds. But it's no comparison to swimming yourself. Just kidding!

1 comment:

yalu said...

Man you are so busy. And we are going to be busier once we get to school; I added ESP to my calendar, LOL. I'm glad I get back on Wednesday, because it seems like ESP is really busy Thursday and Friday. But man, I have so much to do on Thursday and Friday, visiting offices and unpacking. I think getting back the middle of the week is the way to go; I don't know how else I would take care of stuff that I have to visit offices for (have to make this trip to TeenLife Boston too...busy busy).

I'm glad you finally got to work in this role! Yeah I think people are very important since you spend so much time with them. But if you don't know the company, it's hard to tell. I feel like I only vaguely know what I want to do. Also, I've only spent 3 wks in an actual consulting firm. :-( I need to add your company to my list ;-) remind me!

Yeah I am going out to dinner on Monday night again. Starting to fatten up ;-) It's kind of sad because X is here on Monday night, her last night, and I won't be able to see her until 9pm at night or something. But this is the only time we can go out to dinner, because Tuesday is my last day (so they wouldn't take me out in the evening) and Friday is too early.

Summer is ending so soon! Good luck on your GRE's. I can't wait to see you.