Sunday, July 13, 2008

Words, words, words

Word of the Day: Steep - v. to saturate or completely soak. Her plan was to spend three months in Paris and come back steeped in French culture, but all she ended up with was a fuchsia beret from the souvenir shop.

Honestly, I didn't know that this was an actual meaning of the word steep. I've seen it used in this way before but I totally did not anticipate this to come up. My review book has these warm up quizzes where you match the meanings of 10 words and their definitions. But the definitions are only one or two words. It was so hard not to have any context. It's like having the word "eye" on one side and having "center" for its definition on the other side.

This book has some cool sentences though. Like:
Antipathy - n. aversion, dislike
Sam very clearly expresses his antipathy toward certain breakfast foods in the Dr. Seuss classic, Green Eggs and Ham.

Aspersion - n. an act of defamation or maligning
Pete resented the aspersions cast by his opponent, who called Pete a low-down, no good snake who didn't eat his vegetables.

3 comments:

djue said...

Thank you for the very, very thoughtful analysis. I think I might go for Indonesian or Bengali...

Steep reminds me of tea. Like when you let a tea bag steep in water to get all the flavor out.

GRE sucks. And costs $140. What?! And it's a computer version =/

I am studying too. Sigh.

Unknown said...

I have a GRE vocab book, you might want to take a look at it...

Unknown said...

there is a half-price discount for students with financial aids taking GRE, do you know that?