Sunday, July 6, 2008

GRE, Work, Weekend

Uh ohs... I've just started studying for the GREs and it turns out it's just like the SATs. Not even harder. I think the new SATs probably has a harder math section. But the sad part is that I can't do this stuff anymore. I haven't done stuff like this since I stopped studing for the SATs. Nowadays everything is real (not imaginary), any fraction only goes down to 1/16 (the inch), even the negative sign is arbitary (just change your point of reference!), and everything is rounded up to the nearest hundred or thousand. Anyhow I hope it all comes back soon.

After 2 weeks at work, I still don't know about this place. I really don't like the office. I can't see any windows at all. But besides that, it's really weird when people ask me where I go to school, which is inevitable once they find out I'm an intern. Sometimes I wish I could just say Berkeley, especially when I met random people on the street. Because they either say "MIT? huh?" or "Wow, you go to MIT?" And then I don't know how to react. At work, people are always like, "Wow, you come all the way here for an internship?" To which, I respond, "um.. my family is here." I mean, I've met quite a few people who have moved from far away places to work in the office. But that's like me going to work at an office in Boston not coming back to California to work after studying elsewhere. So I guess I'm feeling like I don't really fit in? Or am I just being too arrogant to think that I am/should be different?

This 3 day weekend went by pretty fast. We went to the outlets in Gilroy on Friday. I got my hair straightened again on Saturday (yeah, it took the whole day). And today, we did what we do every Sunday which is going out for dim sum and then buying groceries. Except today we went to the dim sum place by the water and we flew kites afterwards. Yesterday, I tried to make Mexican food for dinner with my family. Burritos and enchiladas. Didn't turn out so well. Everything was too salty. Today I used a lot of the remaining ingredients to make a bean dip, which was much better liked.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I think GRE has more vocab than SAT.

docey101 said...

shoot, i just wrote a response and it disappeared off to cyber space.
i was just gonna tell you that i'm home most fri sat and suns. so we can study together, i can and should study for classes, and you the gres but we can both do gres as i am not in the mood to study for bio. i give school a "humph!" and if that be the case, why should i study for this gre???
but yeah, next time someone asks you what school you're from, you should tell them you're from oakland. and then tell them you currently go to school at mit. although you're giving more info than inquired, i think it should be helpful for certain people's understanding.
straight hair!!

yalu said...

Haha Mexican food...I saw some kind of TexMex store here the other day, was not too impressed.

I always get that reaction too, but I've sort of gotten used to it. Last year I felt very different because most of the interns were from schools I hadn't heard of, and I think the best of which was Texas A&M (which I have heard of). It was just a bit odd. This year, there are no other interns that I know of, and we just talk amongst ourselves in the different offices. The girls in NY say there's another intern there, but they've only heard of him (aka that he exists). I think that it's one of those inevitable things...one thing I was looking forward to last summer was working at a large company with an established college internship program, so get to meet a lot of people from colleges like MIT, etc. But oh well. I think the plus side to not doing that is I'm afraid that sounds a bit cliquish.

X and I need to start looking at this GRE business. Maybe after the summer. After the SATs, I've realized I really dislike standardized tests.